The Commercial and Professional Association of Methana with co-organizers the company Saronic Outdoor Activities, the Saronic Triathlon Club and a big supporter Volcanotrails.gr announce the 1st Mountain Recreation Race “Methana Volcano Challenge” which will be held on March 12 and 13, 2022.
Trail Running 25 km
Trail Running 12.5 km
Fun Run 5.3 km
Date of the event: Saturday 12 & 13/03/2022
Venue: Methana, Municipality of Trizinia – Methana
Saturday 12.03.2022 Road Race 5.3 km (Fun RUN 5.3 Km) – Start 16:30
Sunday 13.03.2022 Mountain Race 25 km (Trail Run 25 Km) – Start: 10:00
Mountain Race 12.5 km (Trail Run 12.5 Km) – Start: 10:30
5.3 km “FUN RUN 5.3 Km” Start: 16:30
The start of the 5.3 km race will take place in front of the entrance of the pier of the Port of Methana facing the Limnionas Beach. Runners are invited to move on the coastal road (Saronic Coast) on the way to Limniona Beach. Arriving at Limniona beach, the runners will have traveled the first 1600 meters where they will make a U-turn and head to the port again from the road they came from. Passing in front of the church of Agios Nikolaos, the runners will have covered the 2500 m of the race where there will be their water supply. Continuing their course and reaching 3000 meters (in front of the Akti Hotel) the runners will have to turn right (a volunteer will indicate their course) on Aloupi Street. In the first alley the runners will have to turn left and move to Chr. Maltese (volunteer will point out their course). Traveling the entire length of Chr. Maltese runners reaching the coastal road of the Saronic Gulf will turn left and the first alley to the right, and will run parallel to the Marina of Boats and in the direction of the Island (Church of Agios Anargyros). The runners will move around the island and then parallel to the beach until they return to the Saronic Coast in the direction of the finish. Arriving at the entrance of the Port pier, runners will have to turn right to pass the Finishing Arch. The route is an asphalt terrain, along the entire length of the route of 5.3 km.
Altitude profiles: In this race, there is a zero altitude profile, as the whole race is conducted at sea level.
Runners participating in the race: The race is open to anyone who has reached the age of 14 – as you understand including high school students – and who have recently undergone the necessary medical examinations to determine that they are in good health their. All participants will sign a solemn declaration before the race, that they are in good health and running at their own risk. Minor athletes must submit a signed responsible statement from parent – guardian
Water supply: There will be a water supply point on the route at 2500 m. In front of the church of Agios Nikolaos.
Time limit: The race has a time limit of completion at 1 ½ hour – until 18:00. Runners are invited to be at the start of the race up to half an hour before the start of the race (at 16.00).
Prizes and gifts: All participants will be given a rare and original medal. Prizes will be awarded to the first 3 men and the first 3 women of the general category.
Cost of participation: The cost of this race is 10 €.
Race timing: There will be electronic timing in the race with a timing chip ..
The registrations will open on 15/12/2021 at 00:01 and will be valid until 06/03/2022 at midnight. MOUNTAIN RACE INFORMATION 12.5 km. Start: 10:30 Route information: The mountain race 12.5 km will start from the Port of Methana in front of the entrance of the pier of the Port towards the entrance to Methana (turn right on the Map). The finish of this race will be like everyone else in the pier of the Port of Methana. The route of the 12.5 km mountain race for most of its route consists of brick paths (some of which date back to the Mycenaean Era) and dirt paths which are marked with the aim of the best possible marking so that no runner is lost in the effort. and everyone to enjoy this special fight. There are small sections of the route that runners will have to run on dirt and asphalt roads.
Detailed description on the match website.
You start from the height of the sea level and reach up to about +600 meters altitude, and then you end up again at sea level where you end at the Port of Methana. Total positive altitude difference 850 m.
Event time: 10:00 a.m.
Race safety: There will be specialized people and rescuers on the track, so that there is not the slightest problem during the race, where and when needed.
Runners participating in the race: The race is open to all those who have reached the age of 18, and have recently undergone the necessary medical examinations to determine that they are in good health. All participants will sign a responsible statement before the race, that they are in good health and are running at their own risk!
Catering – Water supply: The catering and water supply are listed in detail in the box ‘CATERING & WATER SUPPLY STATIONS’ of the website.
Medical coverage: On the route of the race there will be experienced rescuers as well as a doctor at the Port of Methana along with the presence of an ambulance on hand, in case of need. The race is also covered by a special team that has radios, in order to inform the race leaders at any time about anything needed. There will also be nursing staff, physiotherapists as well as a fire truck.
Time limit: The race has a time limit of 6:30 hours (until 16:30). The runners are invited to be at the starting point of the race up to one hour before the start of the race (at 09:00) where they will have received their package from the Secretariat of the Race.
Prizes and gifts: All participants will be given a rare and original medal. ‘Surprise’ prizes will be given to the first 3 men and the first 3 women of the general category, as well as to the following age categories:
• 18 – 29 years old
• 30 – 39 years old
• 40 – 49 years old
• 50 – 59 years old
• 60 & above
• 18 – 29 years old
• 30 – 39 years old
• 40 – 49 years old
• 50 – 59 years old
• 60 & above
*** In case of contraction of the categories due to participations there will be a separate update
The first in the General category can NOT be awarded in their age category.
Participation cost: The cost for the specific race is 25 €.
Race timing: There will be electronic race timing with a timing chip
Registrations: Registrations will open on 15/12/2021 at 00:01 and will be valid until 06/03/2022 at midnight.
TWO-DAY COMPETITION GENERAL INFORMATION
The secretariat of the competition will operate at the Cultural Center of Methana on the following days and hours:
– on Saturday 12/03/2022 from 11: 00-19: 30
– on Sunday 13/03/2022 from 07:30 – 09:30.
(At the Start of the Race at the Port of Methana) The runners are invited to be at the starting point of their respective race up to one hour before the start of the race in which they participate and while they have completed the receipt of their race package.
Locker rooms – storage space for athletes: In a space next to the start-finish area in the center of the village, runners will be able to change, while they will be able to safely store their belongings, at their own risk.
After the race: After the race it will be offered to runners who will participate in recovery snacks, local delicacies, bananas and water.
ATHLETE PACKAGE 25 km Participation Number Timing Chips Racing bag Finish T-shirt Neck scarf (Buff type) Finishing Medal Souvenir Diploma (send by email) Energy gel Local Dishes Water throughout the race Catering at gas stations Isotonic drinks throughout the race Juice ATHLETE PACKAGE 12.5 km Participation Number Timing Chips Racing bag Finish T-shirt Finishing Medal Souvenir Diploma (send by email) Energy gel Local Dishes Water throughout the race Catering at gas stations Isotonic drinks throughout the race Juice ATHLETE PACKAGE 5.3 km Participation Number Timing Chips Finishing Medal Souvenir Diploma (send by email) Water throughout the race Juice
TWO-DAY SUMMARY SCHEDULE Saturday 12/03/2022
11:00 pm: Opening of a secretariat to receive a race package at the Cultural Center of Methana (side street on Chr. Maltezou Street)
16:30 pm: Start of the 5.3 km Road Race (Fun RUN3 Km) 18:00 pm: Completion of 5.3 km Road Race (Fun RUN 5.3 Km)
19:30 pm: Closing of the secretariat
20:00 pm: Technical briefing at the Cultural Center of Methana
07:30 a.m .: Opening of a secretariat for the receipt of a race package at the Start of the race.
10:00 a.m .: Closing of the secretariat (race packages will be given until 9:30 for the 25 km Race and until 10:00 for the 12.5 km Race).
10:00 a.m.: Start of the 25 km Mountain Race (Trail RUN 24 Km)
10:30 a.m .: Start of the Mountain Race 12.5 km (Trail RUN 12.5 Km)
13:00 pm: Expected arrival time of the first runner of the big race
12:30 pm: Completion of the Mountain Race 12.5 km
13:00 pm: Race awards 12.5 km
14:00 pm: 25 km Race Awards
16:00 pm: Completion of the 25 km Mountain Race.
RULES OF GAMES
1. DECLARATION OF PARTICIPATION & ACCEPTANCE By registering, the respective athlete accepts the rules of all the races of the two-day sports Methana Volcano Challenge. Every athlete must know and respect the rules set by the Organizing Authority as well as is obliged to obey the instructions of the organizing committee of the race. Also, every athlete who knows and has accepted that he will move in a mountainous environment, with inaccessible terrain, steep uphill and downhill slopes and during the race will be exposed to any weather conditions prevailing in the area on the day of the event.
2. ATHLETE NUMBER All athletes will receive a participation number and a timing chip. Every athlete is required to have the entry number on the front of their shirt and in a prominent place. Also, you should not miss the timing chip as this will secure the record of the time of each competitor. The number may not be folded or altered in any way.
3. MOVEMENT ON THE PATH Athletes are required to move on the trail without forming groups that extend in width, thus preventing athletes from wanting to overtake. When an athlete is notified that he has to do on the edge to overtake, he should remain on the uphill (inner) side of the slope.
4. EXTERNAL ASSISTANCE / ACCOMPANYING ATHLETES Any external assistance to the athletes is prohibited, the only ones who can help are the volunteers at key points of the race and only for issues of direction and proper continuity of the athlete’s course. . It is not allowed to accompany the athletes by persons who do not have a race number. Escort of an athlete is considered external support and is punished by exclusion of the athlete. The escort of the athlete by familiar persons in the last meters of the route is allowed.
5. WASTE / ECOLOGICAL CONSCIOUSNESS As this race has an ecological character (ECO FRIENDLY) It is strictly PROHIBITED to discard any packaging material along the route. At the water supply stations there will be paper cups for your hydration which you are not allowed to leave the station holding garbage.
6. EQUIPMENT Without being obligatory, the Organization recommends the use of a backpack with water tanks or a water bag as well as an emergency whistle, a mobile phone and solid food, a windbreaker and an elastic bandage. The above tips apply to all athletes of both distances.
7. PENALTIES All of the following offenses carry the penalty of exclusion: Road pollution, Track cuts, Improper behavior towards the staff of the event, Obstructing another athlete or unsportsmanlike conduct External support and assistance, Not present at a control station Refusal to be examined by a doctor of the organization if this is deemed necessary at any time during the race. Loss of athlete number and timing chip Any other behavior not accepted by the Organizing Authority. * The event is in line with HARTA penalties. More information on the “PENALTIES HARTA SERIES 2022” website
8. SECURITY The Organizing Authority during the games monitors the routes, as much as possible, with specialized staff (rescuers, Samaritans, physiotherapists) to avoid any surprises and provides medical assistance to athletes in need. Fire truck will be located at a selected location.
9. ROUTE MODIFICATION The Organizing Authority may modify the routes if for any reason there is a risk to the safety of the athletes. It can also delay the start or cancel or postpone the race due to bad weather or other force majeure.
10. AMENDMENT OF REGULATIONS The Organizing Authority reserves the right to amend these rules of the race without prior notice if deemed necessary. In no case will any change change the style of the fight.
11. ADVERTISING With the application form, each athlete allows the organization to be photographed and videotaped during the race and the awards for advertising purposes.
12. DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY The Organizing Authority is not responsible for the death, injury or any damage to the health of the participants who by submitting the application state that they know the dangers of moving in a mountain environment, have the appropriate experience of participating in mountain races, their state of health is excellent and allows them to compete. Every athlete is obliged to undergo regular preventive medical examinations. The organizer reserves the right not to allow an athlete to complete the race if there is a relevant opinion of the race doctor. Athletes’ insurance is borne by them.
13. HEALTH PROTOCOL AGAINST COVID-19 According to the instructions of the Ministry of Health and the General Secretariat of Sports for the participation in the races, the runners must have either: Covid-19 Vaccination Certificate or PCR test (molecular test) of the last 72 hours or RapidTest last 48 hours or Disease Certificate SHOWING A NEGATIVE RESULT Self Test IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!
The registration will open on 15/12/2021 at 00:01 and will take place at the following link: https://saronicactivities.com/saronic-activities-methana-volcano-challenge-gr.html
Please pay the amount of your respective participation by bank deposit, indicating the name of the athlete in the reason for the deposit. The deposit receipt must be sent to the e-mail: email@example.com.
Do not forget to write the name of the depositor on the receipt. National Bank Account: 44700248568 IBAN: GR680110447000004470024568 SWIFT code: ETHNGRAA BENEFICIARY: SARONIC OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES MON IKE
The amount must be deposited up to 4 days after registration in order for it to be considered valid. For the first year, we are waiting for you at the two-day leisure “Methana Volcano Challenge” on the beautiful Methana Peninsula in order to get to know the natural beauty of the place and the hospitality of the locals, but most importantly “to run in the shadow of the Volcano”. Stay tuned for all the race news on the following pages:
Facebook: METHANA VOLCANO CHALLENGE
The Organizing Committee